Tuesday, March 18, 2008

From the Little White to the Tetons and Back...The final voyage of the Muffin

For those of you that I have not been keeping up with, I have had a fairly busy winter of traveling. Earlier in the winter my travels most often took me south to my previous residence of Driggs Idaho. This has been an unbelievably good snow year in the Tetons, and thus my trips have seemed more than justified. Other travel destinations have been both to the north and west. Unfortunately I was not able to make it East for Christmas and my travels saw me to Whitefish Montana, for more skiing, followed by a few jaunts to Hood River Oregon for some super high quality kayaking.
Christmas Eve powder at Big Mountain Resort
Overlooking Whitefish Lake into Glacier Natl. Park

Two weeks ago Ira and I organizing a group for a long weekend in Hood River. We arrived to find the Little White Salmon with almost twice the volume that Ira and I had seen just 2 weeks before. Although more water can be nerve wracking, I knew I was going kayaking. So, with a slightly smaller group than initially planned we put on and had an incredible day. Unfortunately, I was more than a slacker and forgot the camera in the car. The next few days saw more runs on the Little White, as well as several runs on the classic Green Truss section of the White Salmon river. My buddy Robin took some sweet photos of the biggest drop on the Truss, aptly named Big Brother. Check em' out on his web page www.infinitymountain.com. The above photo, I took of Ira on Big Brother on our second day. All in all it was a great trip...Good people, high water, and a visit with our long lost friend Polly.

After the long drive back to Missoula I was informed that I had no work for the rest of the week. This was seemingly great news because I had received a phone call from my friend Curtis, saying he and his wife were on vacation in Driggs. After a long and greasy day under my car, a new catalytic converter and oxygen sensor were installed, and I was underway.
Curtis hiking on a seldom seen sunny winter day in the Tetons

The new equipment seemed to alleviate my previous problems and I began dreaming about my April voyage back East(and how it would be the Kia getting me there). After 4 days of skiing I made the journey home, which included car issues starting up once again. Flabbergasted and frustrated are two words to describe my attitude towards the Kia, after all we had been through she was finnaly showing signs of rebellion, possibly even hatred towards me. Less than a week later the Kia, a.k.a The Muffin Wagon, The Scone, Superportage, M@+* F#$!_@(^ car, and many other names passed on to a new owner. Despite my honesty her new owner carried high hopes and expectations. Thus far, no calls or complaints, from either the car or the new driver.The Superportage on one of her great Cali adventures

It was a sad day to see the Muffin drive away. But, as I look back I can only say that I doubt any other Kia has been on as many adventures or taken anyone to access as many beautiful places as mine. In total, 2 separate summer long trips, from Asheville NC to California and back. Two trips from Asheville to Missoula, via Driggs Idaho and back. A trip from Missoula to and around British Columbia. At least 8 round trips from Asheville to Wilkes Barre PA. Easily more than 200 trips to the Green River. And this winter 6 trips to Driggs, and a trip to Hood River. All in all the Muffin Wagon carried me over 130,000 miles in just about 6 short years.






A few of the beautiful places accessed by the Muffin

I can only hope my next car takes me on as many if not more adventures than the Kia. Hopefully the next week or so will furnish images of my new ride.

No comments: